NOTE: Commentary By Knuckles “The Wonder Dog”
Well, now we have it. It’s the “4th of July Holiday” weekend! Did you know this is America’s 238th birthday? While family cookouts and firework shows will be the center attractions, please read on to learn about the characters in American history and the roles they played in the American Revolutionary War. Here are some “important,” yet lesser-known trivia facts you can’t live without! Did you know:
* George Washington proposed to Martha after knowing her for ONLY three weeks.
* Paul Revere had 16 children.
* Benjamin Franklin knew Dr. Guillotin, the man named for the killing device, the “Guillotine,” used so prominently in the French Revolution.
* Thomas Jefferson narrowly escaped capture by General Banastre Tarleton, the infamous villain that Mel Gibson fought against in the movie “The Patriot.”
* Betsy Ross sat in the pew, next to George Washington’s pew at church. This may provide circumstantial evidence to prove the Betsy Ross Flag story since it proves they knew one another and this association may have been the reason Washington allegedly approached her to make the ” First Flag of the United States.”
* John Adams lived longer than any former President, until Ronald Reagan.
* Betsy Ross married the man, who brought her the news of her husband’s death.
* John Hancock was elected Governor of Massachusetts nine times.
* Benjamin Franklin played Sudoku.
* James Madison, was introduced to his future wife Dolley, by the infamous Aaron Burr, the man who killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
* James Madison, was the first President of the United States to wear long pants, instead of knee britches.
* Benjamin Franklin was once injured while trying to electrocute a Turkey.